Valentine Card Ideas
That Are Easy to Make!
Valentine Card Ideas don't require tons of extra bells and whistles.
I made this card with really just some paper and glue.
It's easy to make this simple homemade Valentine's Day card and it will mean a lot to your valentine, but the most meaningful thing about the card will be what you write on the inside.
This greeting card in particular is really sturdy and will stand the test of time because there are lots of thick layers of cardstock.
I like make extra-thick handmade cards because they feel more real, more significant than the store bought cards that are usually flimsy and made with low-quality paper.
You can choose the colors that you want for this card - I chose a simple cream and burgundy colored cardstock because it complemented the colors in the letters.
- Cardstock for the actual card, I chose burgundy
- Two pieces of cardstock to created the checkered effect, I chose burgundy and cream
- Letters that spell out "LOVE" - I used rub-on transfer letters that I bought off of ebay for super cheap (you can use rubber stamps or even write your own letters)
- Scrap cardstock for your letters
- Craft knife
- Steel ruler
- Cutting Mat
- Glue Runner or your choice of adhesive
- Optional: adhesive foam squares, to add dimension to the letters
- Cut squares for the checkers: You will need four squares (2 of each colored cardstock) - I chose to make my squares 2.25 inches on each side.
- Cut two squares of one colored cardstock, these two squares should be 2.5 inches on each side.
- Cut and fold your cardstock to create a 5x5 card.
- Rub-on, stamp, or write your letters "LOVE" on pieces of small cardstock and cut around the letters.
- Glue the larger squares onto the front of the card - diagonally opposite to one another to create a checkered effect.
- Glue your smaller squares into the larger squares - use the opposite colors in each square so that a small borders are achieved around each square.
- Glue (or optionally use adhesive foam squares) each letter onto one of the four squares.
TIP: You can also make a long horizontal or vertical card, if you do not want to make a square.
TIP: You can make the checkered squares smaller and add hearts or flowers into the extra squares.
Valentine Messages for Your Handmade V-day Card
Here are some sample Valentine messages that you can use for your special card.
Fun Paper to Use with Your Valentine Card Ideas
Learn about different types of paper used for handmade greeting cards and see if one might be just perfect for your Valentine card ideas!
Creative Card Ideas Homepage
Go back to the Creative Card Ideas homepage.