A Homemade Graduation Card
This homemade graduation card was given to me by my little sister for my recent graduation from UC Berkeley. She told me that she would have felt silly buying a card for someone who makes their own handmade cards, so she took the time and energy to create this beautifully neat homemade graduation card for me!
This graduation card really reflects her personality, bright and cheerful! I love the colors and the ribbon - and I especially love the way that she was able to personalize it for me.
On the cover of the card it reads "CAL," which is a nickname for UC Berkeley. UC Berkeley was the very first University of California and so back before there were any other UCs in California, it was called "Cal" and the has been called that ever since.
I was so happy that she chose to use the nickname for the UC on the card, it was such a cool and sweet gesture because it made me realize that she really took the time to make the card unique and that made it all the more special to me.
She even cut out little bears to decorate the inside as the mascot for Berkeley is a Golden Bear - how awesome is that?
Here is an inside picture:
This homemade graduation card is a great example of how you do not need fancy tools or a bunch of expensive embellishments to make an extra special card. All that is required is a bit of paper and some imagination.
As I did not make this card myself, I will explain how I believe my sister made this card - it is a really simple card to make, but definitely a card that I will keep forever.
- Cardstock for the actual card, she chose bright pink
- Ribbon, she chose a white satin ribbon with bright colored dots all over it (the dots happen to match the cardstock and the adornments on the front)
- Blue and Yellow construction paper, these colors also happen to match the ribbon and are UC Berkeley's school colors (albeit they are not florescent but rather navy blue and gold)
- Scissors for cutting out the letters and other decorations
- Glue for putting it all together!
- Cut the cardstock to the desired size
- Cut out letters to create your message. Or you can rubber stamp "Congratulations" or a similar message.
- Cut out a heart to be the centerpiece of the card.
- Optional: Cut out an outline of the school mascot or more hearts or even stars to decorate the inside.
- Take your ribbon and glue the ends together on the front of the card (this will be hidden by the heart).
- Glue your heart over the ribbon where the ends were glued together.
- Arrange your letters across the heart or where you best see fit.
- On the inside, use your mascot cutouts to decorate a border.
- Write a sweet note of congratulations for your graduate and you're done!
Back to More Homemade Graduation Card Ideas
Check out more handmade graduation cards that you can make for your special graduate.
Where to Get Handmade Card Making Supplies
Here are some ideas of where to look for cheap crafting supplies. Some are obvious and others can help you to hunt down some unique embellishments and supplies for all your paper crafts.
Creative Card Ideas Homepage
Go back to the Creative Card Ideas homepage.