A Handmade New Home Card
This handmade new home card was inspired by a map that I happened across when looking for some cardstock. It was originally a map of the state of Iowa where I recently attended the wedding a good friend.
My love for paper and patterns includes maps of all kinds! I was so happy to find this map of Iowa/Nebraska that I just had to make a handmade new home card!
As I hate to waste paper and couldn't resist using this map - I will pretend that I have a friend who recently bought their first home in Omaha.
Now you may not have friends who have bought a home in Omaha, Nebraska, but I'm sure you get the idea behind this handmade new home card. It's cute and colorful and you can simply use extra scrap paper to make the small embellishments.
It is such a thrilling experience when you buy your first home or a new home that receiving such a sweet and adorable card will really make your friend so happy.
A handmade new home card doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to come from the heart. I love the simplicity of this card and the ability to really personalize it by including a cool map of their new stomping grounds.
- Cardstock - I used a dark brown for the actual card
- Map - I cut up a small square from a larger map
- Scrap Paper - brown, red, and cream colored, for the house, the frame around the map and the wording
- Black pen - for the pretend stitching around the house and wording
- Double sided tape
- Double-sided foam tape or adhesive of your choice
- Paper Trimmer
- Trim and fold your cardstock to the desired size, my card is 5.25" x 5.25" in size.
- Cut your map to fit inside the front of the card. I made my map about 3" x 4" to make it less dramatic as I wanted to embellishments to be brought toward the forefront.
Tip: If you don't happen to have a map of where your friend has bought their new home, there is always the internet. Search for an image of the city or state and choose a cool looking map that you can use - print it out either in color or black and white on light colored cardstock.
- Cut a piece of cream colored cardstock a little bigger than your map - this will be used to "frame" your map.
- Using your double-sided tape, attach the map onto the cream colored cardstock, leaving a small "frame" around it.
- Using brown and red scrap paper, cut out a little brown square and a little red triangle - this of course will become your little house!
- Cut a piece of cream colored cardstock to become the frame of your little house.
- Tape or glue the house onto the piece of cardstock.
- Using your black pen, make little stitches around the border of the cream colored cardstock.
- Cut a long rectangular piece of cream colored cardstock and write out "Congratulations" on it with your black pen.
- Again, with your black pen make little stitch marks around the border of your message.
- Now tape/glue your map to the front of your card.
- Using your double-side foam tape, attach the house in the upper left corner and the message in the lower right corner.
- Viola, all done! Now wasn't that easy?!
Back to Handmade New Home Card Ideas
More cards ideas for making your own handmade new home greeting card for your friend or family member.
Where to Get Handmade Card Making Supplies
Here are some ideas of where to look for cheap crafting supplies. Some are obvious and others can help you to hunt down some unique embellishments and supplies for all your paper crafts.
Creative Card Ideas Homepage
Go back to the Creative Card Ideas homepage.